Sunday 24 June 2007

RENT

Before I begin, anyone that has facebook should check out my photo album "Summer School" it has pictures of all of my kids from this summer.

"How do you leave the past behind
When it keeps finding ways to get to your heart
It reaches way down deep and tears you inside out
Till you're torn apart
Rent!"
-From the musical RENT

Neat. I found a quote that captures both of the biggest emotions I have right now. This weekend I signed the lease on a brand new three bedroom apartment in a region of NW inner Houston. At least 21 other TFA corps members are living there as well. I will be living with a guy named Austin and a girl named Christina. They seem like a lot of fun and we really enjoyed spending our Saturday driving around looking for apartments. We found this place and couldn't wait to sign the lease. It is much much nicer than anywhere i had hoped to live. It comes complementary with a gym, a pool, in unit washer and drier, brand new applianced, a patio, 3 indoor parking spots, and a really nice communal entertainment area. It also comes with complimentary wireless internet!

It is sooo nice to not have to worry about finding a place to live for the rest of the summer. The day I am moving out of institute I will be able to move right into my new apartment and start being a real grown up. I get to pay rent. Not like college rent, but real rent.

That is the really exciting news from this weekend. Other than spending almost all of Saturday apartment hunting I spent my time lesson planning, wrote some poetry, played friesbee, and relaxed with some of my fellow corps members. It was a great break from the amazing hustle that has been institute. The rumor going around here is that 37 people have already dropped out because it was too hard. I haven't confirmed that yet, but I have seen fairly regularly people leaving with all of their things boxed up driving away or hopping in a Taxi. It adds a wierd combination of morbedness and pride to my day. Those of us left here are trying to see if we have what it takes not only to become teachers (an amazingly difficult proffession), but to become above average teachers in only one summer). Everytime someone leaves it seems like it is a dare going across the common room. "I dare you to become a teacher. I dare you. Do you really think you are strong enough?"

It seems like the majority of people take that challenge to heart. I have never lived with such a driven group of people. It is like finals week all the time, without management majors, and instead of grades we have the future of somebody's kids in our hands... It is daunting and exciting. The people are so nice, so diverse, so driven. We represent so many different world views and walks of life. The main thing that connects us is this sense of urgency that the educational gap needs to be closed. It is fun to finally be in an enviornment where the locus of control is placed right on us, and we can band together against the social pressure that says the problem is too big to fix.

The enviornment also makes me miss my home, my family, and my old friends. The people here are amazing. But I haven't yet found a niche of people that have either the biting sarcastic wit of many of my MN connections (Nina, Baits, Flynn, Yea-High, etc) or the overwhelming sense of hyperbole (Hawk, C-B, Cuz Anne, Doc Phil) or are just wonderful to be with (Cody, Girl-Kyle, Donut, my whole family, Tessa). I have met some very cool people, but since i hardly know them, and since things have been so challanging two things have been keeping me going- thoughts of home, and thoughts of my students.

I cannot overemphasize how amazing the kids are, and how tragic it is that since so many of my kids came from a low Socio-Economic place they aren't normally even ever given high expectations, or someone outside of their home that cares about them. it breaks my heart. These kids are so smart, and so much fun, and mostly lacking a sense of hope even at 11 years old. We are really focusing on that hope idea in my class. I can only pray that it will take hold.

Anyways. I just wanted to write to say I Love all of you. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. You are all my strength and inspiration. I thank God everyday that I came from a background that had SOOOO many people that supported me so much.

Keep it real.

1 comment:

Trish said...

"How we gonna paAay last years rent?"

Every time I watch this movie/here the songs I will think of you! :)
I love you so much and I am so proud of you!
Keep being your usual amazing self and the kids will have the BEST role model they could ever want!!
Love Always~Trish