Tuesday 6 May 2008

Teacher's Pet

Don't lie. Every Teacher has a teacher's pet.

Mine is a Guenea Pig. Despite the fact that I do not have any idea how to spell that word: Gueinea, Guinea, Ginney, Guenia? I still have the pet. As a class we named him "Booger Taft" Booger because he has a brown spot on his nose, and Taft because i demanded that it be related to our new unit- which is having them memorize all of the president's in order so that they can have a framework for their social studies in middle school. We are gonna rap them!

M.C Brossart is in fact in the hizzie.

So, Taft was the fattest president- it just makes sense. But in the debate we held, one of my little girls quietly suggested to me Washington, and said we could call him "Booger T. Washington." She looked so proud of herself.

I almost died laughing. That is just cute. I hope to have Booger's last name change like whatever we are studying. He will be the equivilant of Ms. Frizzle's outfits in my classroom. But probably more likely to "eep."

So, now my classroom is becoming more like the one's I remember growing up: Pets, exploration, and the constant hope that summer vacation is just around the corner.

We are in the countdown to Florida, and I had to decide yesterday who had earned the trip, and since my discipline is varied and inconsistent I feel like my decisions were more arbitrary. I am wrestling with second guesses and worries that I made the wrong decisions. Sometimes I wonder if God could have learned something from the Texas State Board of Education and made life a multiple choice test.

Choose the best answer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Think back a year or more...In Savannah, wasn't the rapper's name Booger T. Washington? You know the one 'warming up' the crowd before the donut eating contest?

"I say Spike, you say TV!"

-BB