Friday 5 December 2008

The Song of the Hope-stronaut.

There's a Universe Somewhere
near here on the edges of my perception
like recollection's identical twin:
Things that almost are.

There's a universe of could be's
that float like stones,
shocking us,
daring us to stop believing
so they can go back to sinking.
So we will give up thinking
that there is more than this.

There's a Universe Somewhere
And it's not as far as it seems.
it just needs stronger dreams
cultivated with hard work
and the most important ingredient
of every universe- hope.

It's not as far as it seems
we just needs stronger dreams

_________________________________________

The possibility of actually liking this job evades me
intregues me,
enchants me,
and keeps me playing with the idea of getting
as addicted to teaching as I am to my other vices.
It is at least as hard on my body.
Almost hard enough that I feel the need to apologize to my grandchildren for the years that the job's stress and my bad choices are taking off my life:

Hopefully you can smile and believe that I made enough of a difference to be proud. That way you can cling to the same ego lifeboat I used all those years when teaching was more a labor of unrequited love and mistakes than a vocation, and let's both pray the world is using us in the best way it can. See you in heaven, take care of your beautiful grandmother.

1 comment:

Pegasus Photo said...

Let's hope heaven is still 70 years away for you.
Hope springs eternal!