Monday 3 September 2007

Student Reflections

A wise woman I know once gave me a book to read. This book was rather tersely entitled "To Teach". Inside was writing that was (somewhat contrarily to the title) very emotional, insightful, and passionate. It has influenced my teaching philosophy as much or more than any single other source. In it the author recommends reflectioning on the students emotionally and writing snapshots of their social interactions as a way of making sure I, as a teacher, am tuned into them as people and not just as receptacles of the incredible amounts of wisdom I ladle out like so much alphabet soup.

I will do that on this forum. However, due to the suggestion of one of my esteemed colleages I am going to change the names of the (rarely) innocent to those of famous figures.

I have one student in my class who is significantly older than his classmates. He is a kid that comes with a troubled history. Perhaps as typical for any nearly 14 year old 5th grader, when experienced teachers heard he was going to be in my class they respond with pity and tell me to just do what I can with him. Because of his notable age difference I am going to call him, John Glenn.

John Glenn is turning 14 in November and is one of the tallest boys in the grade. He is black and not at all hispanic. He is currently obbsessed with Magic. He regularily carries cards with him and tries to get any teacher or student willing to talk to him to watch a card trick. He also found a "magic" coloring book and carries it with him many places. When I gave all of the students a choice to be called by any name they wanted he quickly said that he wanted to be called Chris Angel. Chris Angel is an illusionist that became most famouse for a show that ran for 3 months entitled "Mind Freak". After I reprimanded him for not going quickly in the bathroom and trying to do magic tricks and talking to much said "I am like Chris Angel, I use my illusion AND WORDS to do my magic". John is a tapper, always tapping his pencil and making beats. He takes his role as the older kid and one of the few "real black" kids in the classroom to be the resident expert rapper and beat boxer. All the other kids look up to him and he seems to take that seriously. However, he always has an exscuse for when he is in trouble, and meanders and loses focus easily.
John Glenn has two older brothers and a very caring and bossy mother. I do not believe he has a father at home, and responds to me when I raise my vioce and give him "man talks". I have called home twice and am working with his mother to push him hard this year. They both seem responsive to it, but I do not believe either of them are really aware of the work I want him to do. My plan is to utilize his love of magic to push his reading and writing. Ideas are welcome.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Matt-hoo!
did Humberto catch you off guard too? Stay high & dry for me, alright?
Anne-o

p.s. I REFUSE to take it back, Dozinky sucks.